Monday, June 16, 2008

Remembering the Souls of the Victims of the Weena Bus Bombing



It's been a year already since the most tragic event in Bansalan happened. Last June 15, 2007 at about 5:45 in the afternoon, I became a witness of the deadliest event ever happened in my hometown. The folks used to call it "The Weena Bombing in Bansalan". I was the first rescuer in the scene. Unfortunately those 5 victims that i brought to the hospital didn't make it at all. May their souls rest in peace.

Recalling that day, I couldn't hold down my tears hearing the cries of the victims' family. After the Big Bang, people were shocked, there was a minute of silence. (I brought with me my digital camera and I took the opportunity of documenting the tragic event.)I was the first rescuer in the scene, although I was a little bit confused as to whether what to do next. I was trembling but was pacified and had garnered courage upon hearing the voice of a woman crying and calling me by name. It was Susan Villotes calling me, asking my help because her late husband Pepe was instantly killed. I carried the late Pepe and the four others. After that, some of the bystanders rescued the other victims. Rescue organizations, came to the scene. The members of the Kabalikat-Bansalan and other volunteers from the neighboring towns were there. The town ambulance came in late, forcing us to use the police vehicle and the firetruck to carry the victims to the hospital.

That day became part of my life-history already. It had made me courageous to help those who are in need especially during times of danger. It had made me strong and calm to respond to emergency situation. As long as I live, I will always be praying for the victims of that incident. Today, I am offering mass intentions for the victims' souls on the occasion of the first anniversary of the Weena Bus Bombing. May God welcome the souls of the faithful departed in His Kingdom.

1 comment:

WowFun said...

5 years to date. I can still smell the powder and hear my ear ring every time I think of it. I was in that bus. I witnessed everything. From the discovery of he bag until its set off. The most horrific experience of my life. Now I'm celebrating it and remembering the brave man who brought the bag out and saved my life. Thank you. May you rest in peace.